Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

3.72.. and im new.. everyone read me please.. :)

<<

xial

Brewer
Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 pm

3.72.. and im new.. everyone read me please.. :)

So, basically I am an idiot. I was at a way lower version that I havn't updated since the first few months after I got the PSP 2 years ago.. Today I pulled it back out since I havn't messed with it in a year, and saw the update so I figured I would check.. low and behold.. a massive jump in numbers for the update..

After thinking about it for a bit, I wondered if there were any homebrew apps possible for it.. Sure enough, there's all kinds of wicked stuff for it! Then I realize where my problem was.. I am now at version 3.72.. f'n a!

I looked on the post about downgradable versions and I noticed that 3.72 isn't on there.. So my question is, can I still downgrade it?

Im also looking for a great post that details how to do it, and some references for some of the best custom firmwares out there like Reigo mentioned in a post I saw to some other new guy.. his (automated) response.. lol

So basically I am saying I'm new as hell but would love some good posts to start out to learn, and really see what all I can do..

I also am wondering how to put download psp games saved onto my psp.. I have a 2gig card so I got some room to play with if its possible to put them on there without having the CD of the Game that is.. or do I just have to go out and buy small disc's.. lol..

Anyways.. this is an amazing site.. Im searching thru stuff, but nothing has really led me to what I should do, or some great custom firmwares.. or how to put emulators on there and such..

I hope this post doesn't piss off the mods or anyone else, I just would like to know as much as I can so I can start scripting in a sense like I did on the old xbox.. mainly just way custom stuff for myself at first, but then I really got into the community.. i guess it kinda happens.. lol..

Thanks so much for your help whoever replies.. I hope alot of people post on this and give me some great ideas and places to start and instructions at first.. not flame me ..
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:20 pm

Hey, hows it going? So the first thing you will need to do is downgrade using the "Pandora's battery and the Magic Memory stick" there is a tutorial on it in the tutorials section. And yes you can put downloaded PSP games on your PSP by sticking them in the ISO folder in the root of your Memstick X:/ISO (X = The drive on your comp that your PSP is in) but we aren't allowed to tell you were to get them via posting so i'll PM for info on that. From what i've heard, 3.52M33-4 isone of the better Custom firmwares. It's generally is more compatible with most homebrew apps and emulation.

And yeah, if you need anymore help, feel free to PM me or any other members. Or just post in the help section, lol.

Have fun with your PSP ;D

Reigo80.
<<

xial

Brewer
Brewer

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:51 pm

so with 3.52M33-4.. what are the major cool functions of it?.. Anything that you consider the ultimate funcationality for the basic firmware without adding any more homebrewed apps?.. like does that firmware include any special features out of the bag? Im sure it does, just curious about them..

I just want to make sure the new one that I put on there, is going to be the better one in the opinions of alot of people.. I know I am going to have to see the features for myself to figure out which one would be best for me.. but you guys know what i want.. in basic terms.. just something that is cool.. lots of fun stuff to mess with and impress my girlfriend.. who in turn.. doesn't really care and is telling me as i type this.. just wait though.. ill show her!

nah.. she's not that bad.. but you know what i mean.. just some kick arse stuff..
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00 am

Well, most firmwares do the same things. The higher ones just have the same functions as the official firmware. For example, 3.52M33-4 and 1.50 both can use homebrew just 3.52-M33 has the camera addon etc. 'Twould be best to wait for other members to reply and see what their favourite firmware is and then you can decide on what you feel you want.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:23 am

Well i have 3.40 OE-A, it is Great.. but, I am starting to see more and more games come out that need a more updated firmware to play. So it depends what you are wanting to do with your PSP. If you are mainly gonna play PSP games and if you see they require a higher firmware, then you should be at 3.71 M33-3(3.72, just called 3.71 M33-3), i heard it was the most stable firmware in the 3.71 range. However, if you aren't gonna be playing all the new games that need a higher firmware, and you want to play a lot of homebrew games and N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA or w/e games, then it depends which kind of psp you have to which CFW you should use. I'm assuming your psp is a "phat" (black) psp sin ce you've had it for a long time, I guess I would suggest upgrading to 3.52 M33, because you will already be needing to upgrade to 3.52 M33-3/4 in order to upgrade to 3.71 M33. You should just stop there at 3.52 M33-4 and play it until there is a need to upgrade.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:24 pm

If you want to impress your girlfriend, definitely hook that bad boy up with some customized flash0 themes. That will give your PSP a unique, one-of-a-kinda look. Or better yet, learn how to make your own.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

xial

Brewer
Brewer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:26 am

lol.. Well, the girlfriend thing is kinda a joke.. she just kinda laughs when I get to messing with these type of things.. its not to interesting to her, (even though!) she likes to play those older(SNES,NES) games on my original xbox.. and uno on 360.. she loves the simple ones.. :) for the most part i plan to make my own theme's since before I've done my current occupation of lighting designer, i was a graphical designer and web developer for 6 years professionally, so I'm going to make some band ones, clean cut, techno'ish/modern and professional light one and make some audio visulizations to match as if they are moving lights in a concert..

Thank you for explaining a little about the upgrading and some of the dif firmwares.. Yes, I would say that mine is most def the "phat" (black).. I looks like its right under and inch in width.. but im no expert at guessin that stuff.. My plan is to do more emulated games or homebrewed games, but some newer games sometimes I guess..depends on how much I really want to play the game.. I play my 360 more than anything when I do play games. Im a first person shooter kinda guy.. or puzzles.. I even like stuff like Geometry Wars for 360 arcade.. simple stuff like that if its cool and fun to play.. I want my PSP just to be this techie/video/music/fun/designish system I can take with my on the road.. use the wifi to my advantage.. so in a sense I am lookin for a good mix of fun games (don't have to be spankin new/just came out) and cool custom apps.. I also plan to do customized appz for it.. see what's out there and try to make my own.. I know I want to get TVersity going on it.. I have also built a bi-quad antenna out of my old direct TV dish, so im going to try to incorporate using my usb connection thru the psp so when Im in the middle of nowhere, or just feel like connecting to other peoples open networks and see if they have itunes going so i can stream or download their songs that I like.. its pretty cool though.. I get like a 3 mile range in the direction I point my dish for my laptop.. normally pick up around 800-900 connectable networks in most towns.. especially if I am above the city pointing down.. free internet in random places plus I get to hear new music or bands i have heard of..

Anyone got anything else? What they like and possibly why.. cool apps, or list of apps in a sense.. and games!.. what are some awesome games out there? simple or complex.. doesn't matter.. I have come to learn in my life I can read all about a game.. but you guys, the ones that have played them really know if its a solid game whether it be complex or basic old school tetris..

I appreciate your guy's response.. I wish some more people would post though.. but I am sure its like most other sites.. only a little under half of the group even reads the help section.. After awhile people askin the same questions gets kinda old.. so I know the feeling.. but know that I really do appreciate it

EDIT: Added TVersity sentence and bi-quad antenna sentences..
Last edited by xial on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

xial

Brewer
Brewer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:59 am

sorry for the double post.. but as for doing the actually modding.. anyone like to point me to specific tutorials on where to start?.. Theres probably so many random posts of people telling people how to do it, but just a good straighforward tutorial.. like i was saying.. i have 3.72.. but i guess i need to figure out which firmware i should go with..
AdventWolf said "3.52 M33-3/4 in order to upgrade to 3.71 M33" So from what I was saying I want to do in the post above, should I go with 3.52 M33-3/4?.. or should I go with the 3.71 M33? I know you mentioned that their are pretty much the same, just have the functionality of the newest firmware but Is there a comparison list showing any additional features of each one and the upgrades that were done? and say I go with the higher firmware.. is that going to make alot of the older apps to be incompatible? or is it designed with the same basic structure so most of them still should just work fine..

EDIT: Added sentence about incompatibility with homebrew appz, with newer firmware.

2nd EDIT: After reading the main page of the site, I think I am going to go with 3.72 HX-2 since I like the new features of 3.72.. so we will see how it goes.. I hope I dont brick it!..although it would be a nice paperweight.. :) I would hope someone has come up some software to recover it.. When I use to mod phones alot last year we thankfully found one since we were trying alot of crazy stuff on them thru the SEEM edits..

3rd EDIT: So I have read around alot, I guess that was the best thing I can do.. I guess its time to read the pandora's battery tutorial.. I just hope the HX-2 is decent firmware.. But still open to suggestions and anything that I mentioned earlier

p a s s i o n . m o t i v a t e d . g e n e r a t i o n

http://www.myspace.com/shawnpriebe
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Any of the later cfw should be fine, since you have a phat psp, you have the 1.50 kernel and if you have that, all the old homebrew apps should be compatible since they where all made for 1.50.
<<

xial

Brewer
Brewer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:01 pm

so what does cfw stand for? I think I am taking this wrong, but are you saying that even though mines upgraded to the latest sony firmware I can still run brew apps since it has 1.5 already on it? or did I take that the wrong way.. or are you just saying that after I update it to HX-2 and add the 1.5 kernel I will be good to go with running the old brew apps..

p a s s i o n . m o t i v a t e d . g e n e r a t i o n

http://www.myspace.com/shawnpriebe
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:16 pm

cfw = custom firmware. Custom Firmware is basically Official Firmware that also has 1.50 on it. Official firmware itself does not have 1.50 on it. However, a slim is un-compatible with the 1.50 kernel though.

Return to PSP Help