or administrator of PSPBrew will be
responsible for any damages to any psp.

Use at your own RISK, and make sure
to follow instructions carefully.

This tutorial was written while using custom
firmware version 3.03 oe-c.

***DISCLAIMER***DISCLAIMER***DISCLAIMER***

***INTRODUCTION***

There are quite a few ways to customize the psp. The two main, and most universal, methods of doing this are by
using the flash0 toggle in the recovery mode menu (for custom firmware version 3.03 oe-c and higher only) or by
using a program called "psp filer" (for any version of psp capable of running homebrew). This tutorial will give step-by-step
instructions for each of those methods and will tell you exactly what each file does, and where to put it
in the flash0 in order to see your results. I will also list the "pros" associated with each method. You
may take note that there are no "cons". This is because each method is good just by itself, and has a
different purpose. This tutorial is also written in color-code; this way, the color in the TABLE OF CONTENTS,
as well as the roman numeral, will match the section you are looking for. In the "second part" of this tutorial,
I have listed each individual file that can be flashed to the psp to customize the XMB.

***TABLE OF CONTENTS***

I. Description of pspfiler and instructions for use.
II. Description of recovery mode - flash0 and instructions for use.
III. Types of files that can be modified/ description and installation instructions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I.

Using pspfiler to modify the psp is a great option for any psp owner that is capable of running
homebrew. This brief tutorial was written using pspfiler version 3.0. Newer version(s) are available.

[[PROS]]
~You can listen to music while flashing
~You can save files to memory stick
~Computer is not needed for flashing process

***INSTRUCTIONS***

Perhaps the easiest way to install your customizations using pspfiler is to just overwrite the file (w/e
it is that you are changing) in pspfiler. Doing this will prompt a screen that will ask for your confirmation
to overwrite the file. Many users think that this is the safest way to customize the psp using pspfiler; however
the instructions below will lead you on a longer route that works just as well.

1. Install pspfiler to the x://psp/game folder (or wherever you have homebrew set to run from on custom firmware).
2. Place custom files on the memory stick (it's easiest to make a folder named "mods" on the memory stick for this).
3. Open pspfiler from the psp menu.
4. You may first need to change the language. To do this, press select and then O. You can press
the square button to save settings for the next time you load pspfiler.
5. Find your custom file. Press "X" on it and then hit "O" to "write file to ramdisk".
6. Press the start button. The start button will toggle between your memory card/ disk0/flash0/flash1/ramdisk.
All you really need to understand is that you need to press start until you are in the flash0 section.
7. While in the flash0 section, choose the folder "VSH" with the "O" button.
8. Now choose the resource folder.
9. Find the file you wish to overwrite.
10. Once you find the file you want to overwrite/ modify, hit "X" and then "square". This will delete the file.
11. Now you want to make sure you are still in the resource folder, and hit "X" (anywhere). You now want to
select "triangle" to "paste from ramdisk".
12. Hit start button to navigate to ramdisk after you've copied the file to the resource folder and delete the
file from the ramdisk.
13. Repeat from step 2 for a new customization.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

II.

Using the flash0 toggle in the recovery mode (only available custom firmware version 3.03 oe-c and higher) is another great
option to consider when modifying the psp, especially if you are near a computer.

[[PROS]]
~Easy access from recovery menu
~Drag & drop file overwriting makes customizing a quick process
~Good way to save files to the computer.

***INSTRUCTIONS***

1. Turn off psp (hard reset).
2. While holding the R-trigger, turn the psp on.
3. You will now be in "Recovery Mode". Choose the "Advanced" menu.
4. Choose "toggle USB (flash0)"
5. Make sure USB cable is plugged into psp.
6. You can now access the flash0 folder from the computer. Choose the font folder if you are overwriting
a new font in place, or choose vsh/resource for anything else.
7. Choose the "new" customized file from the computer and simply drag it to the resource folder.
8. Click yes to overwrite the file(s).
9. When you are done flashing, you can click "toggle USB (flash0)" again to deactivate USB mode.
10. Exit out of recovery mode to see your new customizations.
III.

This is a list of all possible files that can be flashed onto the psp. Each one is installed in this folder:

flash0/vsh/resource EXCEPT for #9.

1). 1-12.bmp - This will customize the "themes" that change monthly.
2). gameboot.pmf - This will change the short clip that is played before loading a UMD or homebrew program.
3). impose_plugin.rco - This will change the volume bar.
4). opening_plugin.rco - This will change the bootsound from when the psp is turned on from a hard reset.
5). system_plugin.rco - This will change menu sounds and "default game icons" in the (game) folder.
6). system_plugin_bg.rco - This will change the xmb wave.
7). system_plugin_fg.rco - This will change the "battery level indicator" and the "UMD loading" icon (bottom right)
8). topmenu_plugin.rco - This will change your icons. *see note
9). ltn0.pgf - This will change the font. **this is installed in flash0/font folder**

*altering a topmenu_plugin.rco file on custom firmware 3.10 oe and higher will not work unless you use a converter like this oneFIRST.

This tutorial will be updated shortly with reference to web pages for custom flash files.

*NOTE* IF ANY ERRORS ARE SEEN, PLEASE REPORT THEM TO ME.

-DarkPacMan77-
Last edited by DarkPacMan77 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:48 pm

not to be anal about it, but you need to clean up some bbcode

other than that i'm still lookin' it over.
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:56 pm

I only saw one error, but it looks fine to me now. If there are others please let me know either here or by PM and thank you for double checking my work. I wasn't exactly in a clear state of mind while writing the bulk of that tutorial.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Well, to clarify things to readers...toggle flash0 from recovery was first implemented in 3.03 oe-c so its not for all custom firmware. Was just something that stuck out while quickly glancing over it.

*EDIT* Another thing i noticed (just as a safety precaution) just copy the file instead of deleting it using pspfiler, it will prompt you saying there is already a file by that name and are you sure you want to replace it. Just feel its safer to copy over it because what happens if your psp just shuts off while your file is deleted or your street has a power outage.

Also maybe put a sidenote beside topmenu_plugin.rco saying not for use on 3.10 oe
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 am

Thank you for your input. As you can tell, I expected minor errors like that. I will add your revisions and also, if you have any particular web pages of interest that have custom xmb mods on them - like the psp-hacks sections, please drop the links to them and what they are for and I will add them.

thank you,

*edit* UPDATED

-DarkPacMan77-

Return to PSP Tutorials