[Tutorial] Compressing Playstation One .ISO's

<<

Shmittyz

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 am

[Tutorial] Compressing Playstation One .ISO's

First off, this is my first attempt at a tutorial. It is very simple though, requires nothing but Autopopstaion 3 and the Hot Shots 2 Eboot and Keys.

First off I had alot of trouble getting my firmware 3.03 OE-b to run Psx Eboots.. I got an error on first attempt and thought it was never gonna let them work! Well I was wrong. First off, all ur PSX Eboots must be in the standard game folder.. not for a specific kernel (i.e. GAME150 or GAME303). Just the GAME folder.. Second, they run best for me and others I've talked to in the 1.50 Kernel. If you do not know the recovery menu. Or You are a Beginner. Shut your PSP off, then when you restart. Be sure to hold the (R) Trigger Button. A Pink screen will show, scroll down and select Configuration.

After Selecting Configuration scroll down to "Game Folder Homebrew (Currently: 3.03 kernel) and press X to change the Setting to 1.50 Kernel. Then Exit the Recovery, so that your PSP reboots to the home Menu.

After this your PSP should Start PSX Eboots. Just goto your memory stick menu under game.

If your Eboot does not start on the first attempt and displays a ( Could not start game (80000004) ) error message. Do not be discouraged. I got this error message numerous times but after trying to restart the Eboots a few times they did run.. Some Iso dumps I've made didn't work though. So as for eboots not working after a few attempts it could just be a bad Dump.

Okay now the real Heart of this Tutorial is creating and compressing PSX disks into EBOOTs. First off, I am a new brewer so I don't know a whole lot but I downloaded Auto Popstation 3 from Dark_AleX, Between him and DPman77 they have become the PSP Holy Alliance to me lol. Dark Alex for being a programming genious, and for having a enough energy drinks to stay above Sony. And DPman77 for being patient, a good listener, and being very able to explain downgrading, then upgrading and configuring Custom Firmware to my specs. Okay back down to business. This tutorial is about making and Compressing Eboots.

1) Download Dark_AleX's Autopopstation 3. First insert your PSX disk into your optical drive (i.e. CD-rom CD/RW, DVD, DVD/RW ect.

2) Place your downloaded Hot Shots 2 PBP and Keys into the folder containing Autopopstation3.bat, remember to rename your Hot Shots PBP to BASE.PBP.

3) Open the Core Data folder and run the ISO Producer EXE. It will fail on first attempt. But then the GUI will show. Click the configure plugin option. Then change the interface option to W2k/XP scsi commands. Then set your optical drive. Next set your read mode to: BE_2 ( ATAPI SPEC 2). Then Set Subchannel Reading to Read Sub Channels. Then close and re open and click Make ISO.

4) Next step cut your ISO from the result folder and place it in the folder with the Autopopstation3.bat, and your BASE.PBP and your KEYS. Then Click the Autopopstation3.bat.

5) A DOS Prompt will show, it will ask you to type youre iso's name including extention. Press enter, then the app asks for the game title. Type the title name and press enter again.

6) Next eject your psx disk and under the the PSX logo you will see a code like SLUSXXXXX type that code in the app. and press enter again. The app wil then ask you to choose a compression level between 0-9 choose a compression level, and then press enter. The next option will ask you about adding a .DAT manual. I don't have many manuals so I press G, and then to comfirm the app will ask you to press. "Y" or "N" press Y to continue. The app will then compress and convert the iso to a .PBP without ripping anything from the iso.

7) Take the New ("GAME TITLE") folder from the result folder, and place it inside the GAME folder on your PSP memory stick. Then just boot the Eboot from your memory stick, and enjoy.

The app sets up save slots for the eboot, as for ICONS and DAT manuals I've not done much work with them or HEX editing my eboots yet. Soon I will post more devoted to these options. Also inside the Autopopstation3 there is a program dedicated to creating and attaching manuals. There is a readme text also for the dat program, I just haven't read into it much yet. Well This has been my first Tutorial. I don't know if it will help much, or if any brewers will consider it worthy of being stickied but we will soon see. Thanx to all at PSPBrew, and Dark_AleX for the App's that have made all of this possible. And also to the ability of Sony to make a system this addaptible, and to over look the ability for holes and unsigned code. Thanx to sony we are able to to Exploit one of the most revolutionary handhelds to date. Suck on THAT!!!!

http://www.pspbrew.com/index.php?page=f ... id=&d=3599

AUTOPOPSTATION 3 download above from right here at PSPBREW
I wanna be a rockstar!
<<

tbag

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 1

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:10 am

another one...

i did one of these last week not a bad tutorial though
<<

Mailas

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:57 am

Again if you guys need the files (hotshots golf BASE.PBP, KEYS.BIN, etc.) PM me. I have them all ready.
<<

tbag

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 am

nope

hot shots golf is no longer needed
<<

Mailas

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:01 am

Damn I seriously need to get up to date, how did they do it without hotshots golf?
<<

tbag

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:03 am

i donno

but the new gui's dont need them they made there own
<<

Mailas

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:05 am

They made their own what? Hotshogs Golf? lol.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey, you are very welcome for the help through PM Shmittyz, and I think it is very considerate that you have written a tutorial. This is becoming more widely known and I need to catch up. I will give your tutorial a go. If it works, I will sticky it/ combine it with another sticky ;)

Command and Conquer Red Alert Retaliation... here I come... hopefully.

*edit*

I am proud to announce that I have compressed my Final Fantasy Tactics back up to compress from 528mb all of the way down to 257mb!!! That's more than HALF!!! Thanks for writing this tutorial. It does need to be cleaned up quite a bit and I might even help out with that later tonight... we will see. The numbering of the steps is also goofy lol. This definitely deserves a sticky for now though.

I believe in the saying, "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" ;)

*edit2* I recommend that you add pictures for some of the steps (primarily when you are naming the game and setting compression etc.). I also recommend that you delete your "thank you section", although nice, it does interrupt the tutorial. I think that this should also be looked into. Here was my only issue when using this tutorial.

When I used the ISOProducer and ripped my game backup, I named it Final Fantasy Tactics.iso (with spaces in between the words mind you). When I had gone to enter the first bit of information (what the iso name is) I entered that title (spaces and all). The program immediately closed. Using my previous knowledge for how some programs act I took out the spaces and made it lower case like this "finalfantasytactics.iso" and the command prompt went to the next step. I am pretty sure that the lower case letters didn't have anything to do with it; however, it should be noted that you are not allowed to enter spaces for the iso name in the first information that you input. You ARE ALLOWED to input spaces for the "game title" though, so don't worry about it showing up looking sloppy in the xmb. I also renamed my iso to "finalfantasytactics.iso" before I typed that line into the program.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Shmittyz

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Yea.. I had a party goin on in my house at the time I was writing it.. Not to mention I'm not very organized. Also due to the pauses for conversations and the consumption of liquer I got way off track. Shoulda went over it again before posting. But I was proud of myself at the same time. As for the spaces, I totally forgot, but yea I had that same problem at first. I'll have to go in a re work some things. As for pics. I'll prolly sound really stupid but I don't know how to get screen shots of the program as I'm working with it?!? Any suggestions there DPman?

*EDIT

Also, I'm not able to get my eboots of Final Fantasy Tactics, or Final Fantasy VII to run past the Square screen. They freeze and stay right there? Did anyone else have these problems?
I wanna be a rockstar!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:50 pm

I might be able to help you with the Tactics one. I still have errors with mine personally. In fact, it seems it is compressed too much b/c when the emulator plays very low sounds it gets static... but it is still playable and enjoyable... I've never actually played more than 5 minutes of it so I am glad to have it portable ;)

I also ripped my "The Legend of Dragoon" game to play through... god I love that game.

How about this though. You just clean up the tutorial REALLY WELL and I will add pictures for the steps later ;)

You scratch my back and I scratch yours

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Mailas

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:02 am

Can anyone answer my question?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I should make note that I have used this tutorial for two games so far.

1.Final Fantasy Tactics
2.The Legend of Dragoon

In both games the sound glitches. I can only tell that it does this when the game plays a very low sound effect, low enough for a little bass.

Has anyone else had this problem?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

arto14

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:39 pm

i used this 4 a megaman game and it deleted the demo game within it. oh well it was worth it. it went from 400mb's to 150mb's
myspace.com/pooponagansta
AIM=arto0121

talk to me =)
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Damn that is nice compression ;), but did you have any sound goof ups?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Shmittyz

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 am

I'll clean this up as soon as I have the time.. Right now my new schedule at work consists of 16 hour shifts left and right.. But as soon as I get another good day off.. I'll re-write it... as for the new GUI where Hotshots isn't needed.. I've not seen it.. I did have one version of popstation that had a base.pbp with it already and just generated a new one into the game folders with the eboots, but none of my eboots worked at all from that one... As for the new one that there has been talk of that has it's on base. I don't know.
I wanna be a rockstar!
Next

Return to PSP Tutorials